RESEARCH TRIANGLE PARK – Are the days of big jumps in job openings across the Triangle ending? Could be.
Even as the region’s and North Carolina’s unemployment data continues to improve, jobs sites tracked for WRAL TechWire’s exclusive weekly Jobs Report provides a mixed picture at best.
Last Friday’s better-than-expected national jobs report revealed promising signals for America’s recovery from historic labor shortages. U.S. employers added 467,000 jobs in January, with the most significant gains spread across leisure and hospitality, professional and business services, retail, and transportation and warehousing. The unemployment rate now stands at 4%.
Meanwhile, North Carolina’s unemployment rate dropped to 3.7% in December, per the latest figures from the NC Department of Commerce. But with some of the lowest unemployment rates in North Carolina, the Triangle outlook is cooling if this week’s check is an indicator.
WRAL TechWire tracks the total number of Triangle-area job openings listed on national job boards, and here’s the latest:
- Indeed.com, for example, shows 1,132 more jobs in Raleigh and 1,575 more jobs in Durham than it did at the same time last week.
- Glassdoor has 1,291 additional jobs across the RTP area compared to last week.
- Dice.com, which tracks tech-specific positions, added 264 openings in Raleigh and 258 in Durham over the previous seven days.
However, the totals dropped on some of the other sites we reviewed.
- Adzuna has -2,445 fewer jobs in Wake County and -1,011 fewer jobs in Raleigh than it did seven days ago.
- Dice has -634 in Chapel Hill. On LinkedIn, the totals for Raleigh and Durham dropped by -1,034 and -459, respectively.
Tech sector remains hot
Technology jobs remain at a premium in the Triangle area, as our Jobs Report shows below.
WRAL TechWire’s weekly Jobs Report compiles the latest information from the region’s top job boards, offering a breakdown of how many jobs are posted, which companies are hiring, and what positions are most in-demand. We’ve also included upcoming job fairs, student-centric resources, and a list of Twitter accounts that track local job openings.
Here’s what’s new since last week’s Jobs Report.
National Job Boards
Here’s a look at the total number of local jobs posted on national job boards compared to last week, as of Sunday afternoon.
- ⇓ Wake County: 48,946 jobs (-2,445 from a week ago)
- ⇓ Raleigh: 28,389 (-1,011)
- ⇓ Durham County: 12,721 (-134)
- ⇓ Johnston County: 2,968 (-261)
- Dice.com (using the 5-mile radius filter):
- ⇑ Raleigh: 19,295 (+264)
- ⇑ Durham: 19,100 (+258)
- ⇓ Chapel Hill: 18,898 (-634)
- Glassdoor: ⇑ 38,260 jobs across the Research Triangle Park area (+1,291)
- Indeed (5-mile radius filter):
- ⇑ Raleigh: 18,060 (+1,132)
- ⇑ Durham: 10,705 (+1,575)
- ⇑ Chapel Hill: 4,794 (+90)
- ⇑ Johnston County: 988 (+11)
- InHerSight: Pages upon pages of jobs across the RTP area
- LinkedIn (using the “exact location” and “0-miles” filters):
- ⇓ Raleigh: 30,479 (-1,034), with 9,953 jobs posted in the past week
- ⇓ Durham: 15,857 (-459), with 3,620 jobs posted in the past week
- ⇑ Chapel Hill: 2,655 (+26), with 544 jobs posted in the past week
- ⇑ Johnston County: 1,586 (+40), with 446 jobs posted in the past week
- Remote Tech Jobs: Several remote jobs offered by Triangle-area employers
- ZipRecruiter (5-mile filter):
- ⇑ Raleigh: 42,906 (+6,908)*
- ⇑ Durham: 18,087 (+659)
- ⇑ Chapel Hill: 4,149 (+42)
- ⇓ Johnston County: 378 (-1)
*Note: Since this is a huge increase compared to what we normally see in a given week, and the other sites did not show the same week-to-week trend for Raleigh, we’re assuming it’s an anomaly for now. We’ll keep an eye on the totals for next week’s Jobs Report.
Startup Job Search Sites
Aside from the boards above, job seekers can also find local startup jobs at SimplyHired (254 startup jobs near Research Triangle Park), LinkedIn (10,414 results in and around Raleigh), Indeed (362 startup jobs in/near RTP) and AngelList (job openings in Raleigh, Durham and across North Carolina).
Here’s a look at local and regional job sites, listed in alphabetical order:
AMA Triangle, the fifth-largest chapter in American Marketing Association’s nationwide network, aims to be a go-to resource for all things marketing in the Triangle. AMA Triangle provides professional training, free career webinars and a job board offering free resume placement for marketing professionals.
As of Sunday afternoon, AMA Triangle’s job board shows 112 marketing jobs in Raleigh, 76 in Durham and 51 in Chapel Hill (using the 25-mile radius filter).
Several local jobs were added to the site over the last seven days:
- Advance Auto Parts added two openings in Raleigh for a field communications specialist and a market availability manager.
- Cardinal Points Imaging of the Carolinas seeks a sales and marketing manager in Raleigh.
- CCMC is looking to hire a community manager at its Wendell Falls location.
- Dude Solutions is hiring a senior demand generation marketing manager and a senior digital marketer in Cary.
- FHI 360 seeks an HIV media campaign director in Durham.
- MetLife is hiring a marketing and communications analyst in Cary.
- Netsertive added two job listings for a senior digital marketing specialist and a campaign strategist in Morrisville.
- The North Carolina Bar Association posted three job openings in Cary: Administrative assistant of communities, marketing specialist, and communities manager of sections, divisions and committees.
- Siemens is looking to add a senior marketing communications specialist at its smart infrastructure business unit in Wendell.
- UNC Health seeks a digital marketing coordinator in Morrisville.
- Verizon is looking to add a unified communications program manager at its Cary office.
Durham-based startup hub American Underground regularly posts job openings on its job board. Job seekers can filter their search by company, location and job function. As of Sunday afternoon, the site shows 251 jobs at 45 companies. More than two dozen jobs were added to the site over the last week:
- Durham-based nonprofit research organization Croatan Institute posted two openings for an executive assistant and an operations coordinator.
- Kinston-based private jet company flyExclusive is hiring a direct entry CE-680 captain, a direct entry CE-525 captain, a direct entry CE-560 captain and a direct entry CE-750 captain.
- LearnPlatform, a local edtech startup, is hiring a solutions engineer (remote or in Raleigh) and a regional director of partnerships (remote).
- Durham fintech startup LoanWell posted four job openings for a customer support specialist, a client success manager, a full-stack software engineer and an agile project manager.
- Log management software provider LogDNA seeks a remote HR director and a solutions architect.
- Durham-based data science firm NoviSci posted two remote job openings for a senior applications developer and a senior Golang back-end software engineer. It’s also hiring a senior data scientist in Durham.
- Durham insurtech startup Policygenius is hiring a senior sales manager and an associate director of account management (remote option).
- Durham’s ProcessMaker, a provider of workflow automation software, is hiring a remote demand generation manager and a sales development representative in Durham.
- Local telecommunication firm Relay seeks a benefits and payroll analyst and an accountant in Raleigh.
- Web development consulting firm Savas Labs seeks a technical recruiter in Raleigh.
- Payments software provider Spreedly posted three openings in Durham (remote options available): Engineering manager, senior information security risk manager and marketing manager.
- Edtech startup Upswing posted three remote positions: an online electrical engineering tutor, an online accounting tutor and a sales director.
Last year, WRAL TechWire and the North Carolina Biotechnology Center launched a Bio Jobs Hub platform focused on biopharma manufacturing — one of North Carolina’s largest industries, employing over 26,000 people.
Typical biopharma jobs include process technicians, maintenance and/or instrumentation technicians, quality assurance and quality control associates, process development scientists and process engineers. This industry also offers competitive entry-level salaries, from $42,000 to $60,000.
Scientists, skilled laborers and recent graduates can use the Bio Jobs Hub resource to find career and training opportunities in their area. Users can search by location, job category/activity and region.
Many biopharma companies are hiring in the Triangle, including large employers like Biogen in Research Triangle Park, bioMérieux in Durham, GSK in Zebulon, Merck & Co. in Durham, Novo Nordisk in Durham and Clayton, Pfizer in Sanford, and others.
Leadership Triangle’s job board is packed with local jobs. The site displays 641 openings at 30 companies as of Sunday afternoon.
Here’s what’s been posted in the last week:
- A Place at the Table is hiring a cafe manager in Raleigh.
- Bank of America seeks a relationship banker in Raleigh.
- Blue Cross NC added 29 job openings in Durham, including customer service professional, creative strategy director, virtual technology engineer, IT test manager, operations specialist (two openings), senior strategic advisor of provider quality and operations, episodic care manager (two openings), business application expert, payment integrity vendor service delivery consultant, member professional, senior team leader, program manager, intake specialist (two openings), senior program manager, customer engagement campaign strategist, senior digital product manager of transparency tools, Medicare regional sales executive, program manager associate, dental provider contract consultant, social worker case manager, case manager, healthcare strategy strategic advisor, senior informatics analyst, utilization management medical team leader, senior Java developer and senior delivery product manager.
- Capitol Broadcasting Company (WRAL TechWire’s parent company) posted six openings in Durham, including warehouse management trainee, food and beverage staffing trainee, production kitchen supervisor trainee, baseball food and beverage sublet trainee, baseball catering trainee and creative trainee. The company is also hiring a senior financial analyst in Raleigh.
- Coastal Credit Union seeks a teller in Durham.
- Leadership Triangle is hiring a program assistant in the Triangle area.
- Medicago seeks a QC analytical science and technology technician and a senior project engineer in Durham.
- North Carolina Central University added several positions in Durham, including collection development and access services librarian, career services specialist, sponsored research director, admissions counselor, human resources specialist, administrative support specialist, paralegal and associate director of residential life.
- Self-Help Credit Union seeks a benefits administrator in Durham.
- Truist is hiring for several positions in Raleigh: Financial crimes governance specialist, business and technology continuity management risk officer, business and technology continuity management senior specialist, production application support systems analyst, software engineer (four openings), trust advisor, Scrum master, lead infrastructure engineer, software developer, principal experience design researcher, and risk data and reporting senior analyst. And at its Benson branch, the bank seeks a relationship/senior relationship banker and a teller/senior teller.
- William Peace University in Raleigh is hiring an adjunct nursing ethics instructor and an administrative registrar’s office assistant.
The North Carolina Biotechnology Center’s extensive jobs board lists open jobs and internships from local life science companies and research organizations. Users can filter by job category, employment type (full-time, part-time and contractor), keywords, postal code and radius. NCBiotech also touts jobs through its Bio Jobs Hub program.
More than 100 new jobs were posted over the last week:
- Research associate at BioResource International in Durham
- Bioprocess development GMP scientist, process development GMP manufacturing tech (two openings), GMP project/program manager, GMP analytical team associate scientist, GMP manufacturing tech and communications director at the Duke Human Vaccine Institute in Durham
- Clinical research coordinator at the Duke Molecular Physiology Institute in Durham
- Research technician/specialist at Eldec Pharmaceuticals in Chapel Hill
- Plant metabolic engineering scientist at Elo Life Systems in RTP
- Grifols added several openings in Durham and Clayton, including Medicaid contracting specialist, Medicaid specialist, IT applications functional analyst, mechanical maintenance technician, biochemistry QC supervisor, quality supervisor, research scientist, project manager and sterile filling manufacturing manager.
- SQL developer and entry-level application developer at the Institute for Medical Research in Durham
- Merck & Co. posted lots of openings in Durham, including commercial agility and transformation director, lab technical support specialist, site quality lead, logistics manager, quality control manager, operations manager (two openings), VMF maintenance senior technician, senior quality control specialist, senior operations technician, warehouse logistics technician, quality specialist (two openings), engineering deviation management associate specialist, technical engineering specialist, vaccine manufacturing technical operations specialist, maintenance and calibrations operations manager, manufacturing IT agile lead, engineering projects specialist, HVAC/refrigeration engineer specialist, senior technician, engineering associate specialist, vaccine production project manager, senior utilities engineering technician, validation engineering specialist, senior operations specialist, lead operations technician, learning and development senior specialist, quality assurance associate director, learning and development associate director and technician.
- Data scientist intern, bioinformatics research assistant intern and biology intern at Oerth Bio in Durham
- Animal husbandry technician and preclinical research technician at Powered Research in Durham/RTP
- Cell therapy scientist, gene therapy scientist, external quality assurance manager and technical operations process engineer at Precision BioSciences in Durham
- Seqirus posted several openings in Holly Springs, including continuous improvement lead, senior mRNA director, maintenance mechanic, SA mRNA principal engineer, process engineer, calibration technician, EHS specialist, HR site lead director, senior HR business partner, manufacturing associate (multiple openings), MS&T engineer (two openings), manufacturing quality systems specialist, manufacturing supervisor, environmental monitoring QC analyst (two openings), senior specialist/specialist in microbiology analytical science and technology, immunology QC analyst (two openings), QA specialist (four openings), microbiology QC analyst (two openings), QA EDMS document controller, LMS and training senior manager, fill finish/FacOps FLQA specialist, stability QC analyst, senior auditing specialist, R&D QA senior specialist, R&D material disposition senior specialist, TD project senior manager, analytical compliance lead scientist, virology scientist, senior manager of mRNA vaccine manufacturing, associate director of mRNA vaccine manufacturing and tech transfer, senior upstream/downstream optimization scientist, infection optimization scientific associate, mRNA analytical project lead director, process and product development director, LC-MS technical development scientist, senior regulatory affairs CMC manager, molecular analytics scientist (two openings), statistician, category specialist, warehouse coordinator and sourcing specialist.
- Bioanalytical MD/MV research associate at Shattuck Labs in Durham
Note: This list does not include openings posted by recruiting/staffing firms.
The North Carolina Technology Association (NC TECH) has an interactive job board that you can use to find your next career opportunity. Users can search by keyword, location, category, type (full-time or part-time) and experience level. Only one new job was added to the site last week:
- Okta, a San Francisco-based identity and access management firm, is hiring an account executive to lead its SLED sales processes in Raleigh.
NCWorks, the statewide job search portal run by the North Carolina Department of Commerce, has nearly 100 career centers located across the state. Users can filter NCWorks’ database by keyword, location, occupation group or specific occupations, minimum acceptable salary, education level, job sources and date posted. NCWorks also has a mobile app on the Apple App Store and Google Play Store.
North Carolina military veterans, transitioning service members and spouses can find additional resources on NCWorks’ separate veterans portal.
More than 1,700 resumes were updated on the site in the past week, as of Sunday afternoon. NCWorks reports thousands of available positions across the Triangle area.
In Wake County, the top employers with the most job openings on NCWorks are*:
- Wake County Public School System
- North Carolina State University
- WakeMed Health and Hospitals
- UNC Health Care System
Here are the top companies/organizations by job openings in Durham County:
- Duke University
- Durham Public Schools
- Duke University Health System
The top employers in Johnston County are:
- Johnston County Public Schools
- Novo Nordisk
- UNC Health Care System
- Flanders PrecisionAire
And here are the top employers in Orange County:
- UNC Chapel Hill
- UNC Health Care System
- Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools
- Orange County Schools
- Piedmont Health Services
*Note: This data was gathered through NCWorks’ Labor Market Information portal, which aggregates public job listings. NC Commerce confirmed with TechWire that this search pathway has a thorough process to remove duplicate job listings. Check employers’ websites directly for the latest information.
Raleigh Founded, a startup incubator and coworking space, has its own job board. Job seekers can filter results by company, company size or industry. The site currently lists 183 positions at 30 companies as of Sunday afternoon.
Nearly 30 jobs were added to the site over the last seven days:
- Local edtech startup LearnPlatform seeks a solutions engineer (remote or in Raleigh) and a regional director of partnerships (remote).
- Raleigh-based software startup Pendo posted several openings, including recruiting intern and MBA product manager intern (summer 2022), total rewards analyst, senior payroll specialist, senior accounts receivable specialist and corporate account executive.
- Raleigh-based IT firm Pivotal IT Services posted several jobs in Raleigh (with remote options available), including senior software engineer, Scrum master, Java web applications developer, Java developer, test engineer and .Net developer.
- PublicInput, a community engagement platform for government agencies, added three openings in Raleigh for a business development representative, a digital marketing manager and an associate account executive.
- Cloud software provider Veeva Systems posted several openings in Raleigh, including Java software engineer, React senior software engineer (two openings), Python senior software engineer, Java senior software engineer, front-end senior software engineer, NET web application developer, validation analyst, senior RTSM project manager and RTSM customer success associate.
This isn’t a job board per se, but the Research Triangle Cleantech Cluster’s list of job search sources is a helpful resource for job seekers in the clean energy sector. The list has links to career opportunities from the organization’s members and partners.
Leadership Triangle, Raleigh Founded and American Underground teamed up to create the Triangle Region Job Board, which synthesizes all of the openings posted on the organizations’ job boards. (Those openings are listed under their respective subheadings above.)
As of Sunday afternoon, the site shows 2,348 jobs at 93 companies. The latest Triangle-area openings (excluding remote jobs) come from the following employers:
- A Place at the Table (Raleigh)
- Bank of America (Raleigh)
- Blue Cross NC (Durham)
- Capitol Broadcasting Company (Durham and Raleigh)
- Citrix (Raleigh)
- Coastal Credit Union (Durham)
- LearnPlatform (Raleigh)
- LoanWell (Durham)
- Medicago (Durham)
- North Carolina Central University (Durham)
- Pendo (Raleigh)
- Pivotal IT Services (Raleigh)
- Policygenius (Durham)
- ProcessMaker (Durham)
- PublicInput (Raleigh)
- Relay (Raleigh)
- Savas Labs (Raleigh)
- Self-Help Credit Union (Durham)
- Spreedly (Durham)
- Truist (Benson and Raleigh)
- Veeva Systems (Raleigh)
- William Peace University (Raleigh)
Work in the Triangle, a Wake County Economic Development program, regularly shares new openings through its Twitter feed, @WorkTriangleNC. The program recently launched a job board on its website, with 7,508 active openings as of Sunday afternoon. Of those, 5,351 are technology jobs, 1,468 are advanced manufacturing positions, 244 are in cleantech and 445 are in life sciences.
Every Tuesday, Work in the Triangle’s #TriangleTuesdays hashtag lists hot jobs in the area. Here’s a recap of last week’s openings (from Feb. 1):
Scroll through the #TriangleTuesdays hashtag on Twitter for more details on the openings.
New Jobs at Terra Dotta
Last month, Chapel Hill-based edtech company Terra Dotta told TechWire that it’s continuing to hire in the Triangle area after adding more than 20 people to its team last year. Currently at 78 employees, Terra Dotta anticipates adding nearly two dozen new hires this year as it builds out its global engagement platform, which helps colleges and universities connect all aspects of international programming and campus services.
“Fortunately, we’re in a good position as interest in global engagement continues to grow,” Terra Dotta CEO Anthony Rotoli says. “2021 was a record year for Terra Dotta, in spite of the pandemic, and we are entering an exciting growth phase. We plan to hire 20+ more people in 2022 across the entire organization and are looking at a 100+ headcount this time next year.”
Terra Dotta’s current job openings span product development, client support, general and administrative teams. Read more and apply here.
“We always try to hire in the Triangle area first and then move to hiring remote if we can’t fill the position locally/hybrid,” Rotoli added. “Competition is steep for new talent.”
Upcoming Job Fairs and Career Events
Spring 2022 Virtual Internship, Career & Job Fair: Feb. 8–10 (online)
The National Institute for Innovation in Manufacturing Biopharmaceuticals (NIIMBL) is hosting a three-day virtual career fair for job seekers in the biopharmaceutical industry. Attendees will connect with employers through one-on-one and group sessions to discuss career and internship opportunities.
Wake Tech Community College Business & IT Spring 2022 Career Fair: Feb. 9, 9 a.m. – 12 p.m. (online)
In February 2022, Wake Tech will host an online job fair for business and information technology students looking for new career opportunities.
Carolina Career Exploration & Experience Days: Feb. 16–17, 1–4 p.m. (online)
UNC Chapel Hill Career Services is hosting a two-part event where student job seekers can connect virtually with recruiters. The Feb. 16 session targets STEM majors, while the Feb. 17 event applies to all majors.
Duke StartupConnect Networking Fair: Feb. 17, 7 p.m. (online)
In this virtual event, Duke University students will connect with founders and representatives from local startups to learn more about what it’s like to work at these companies as an employee or intern.
NC State Startup Job & Resource Fair: Feb. 23, 4–6 p.m. @NC State Entrepreneurship Garage
NC State Entrepreneurship and Raleigh Founded are co-hosting a job and resource fair for students interested in joining a startup team or starting their own venture.
NC TECH Virtual Job Expo: March 9, 8:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. (online)
This virtual job fair targets candidates seeking tech-related jobs or internships. Local employers can meet with job seekers in virtual booths. Registration is free for job seekers.
Other Resources / Student Support
If you’re a student looking for an internship or entry-level position at a local company or organization, your university has resources to help you get started. Quick links below:
Twitter Accounts to Follow
Here are some locally run Twitter accounts that regularly share job openings in the Triangle: