Science

Mobile networks partially disrupted by Sunda Strait tsunami – Science & Tech


Communication service providers XL Axiata, Indosat Ooredoo and Telkomsel have informed the public about the state of their respective networks following the Sunda Strait tsunami that occurred on Saturday night.

XL Axiata group head of corporate communication Tri Wahyuni said in a statement quoted by the Antara news agency, “Praise God, our network around Pandeglang/Anyer and Kalianda/Lampung is safe and normal so far. [It is] not affected by [the tsunami].” 

Tri added that XL Axiata had a team on the ground to ensure the service stayed stable. 

“We would also like to extend our condolences and concerns regarding the natural disaster. We hope the communities in the affected areas will be given strength during this difficult time,” the statement read. 

Indosat Ooredoo group head of corporate communications Turina Farouk also announced via a statement that, “Indosat Ooredoo’s communication network is safe and able to serve the public, despite disruptions at several base transceiver stations (BTS) due to the lack of electricity supply from PLN.”

Read also: Help arrives at areas struck by Sunda Strait tsunami, while death toll reaches 168

Indosat Ooredoo’s ground team was also actively monitoring the situation to restore the network as soon as possible.

“On behalf of the management of Indosat Ooredoo, we would like to convey our sympathy and condolences to those affected by the disaster. We hope conditions will return to normal soon,” Turina added.

Meanwhile, Tempo.co reports that Telkomsel assured its users about the availability of its services. Telkomsel’s general manager of ICT Network Management Region Sumbagsel, Ahmad Wahyudi, said in an official statement on Sunday that “Telkomsel services in South Lampung are able to serve the public [with coverage] in the [affected areas].”

Following the tsunami that struck South Lampung on Saturday night, two Telkomsel sites – Ujau Rajabasa and Kunyir – went down because of a power cut. Telkomsel sent mobile backup power (MBP) units to both sites despite challenging traffic conditions.

Read also: Seventeen loses band members in Sunda Strait tsunami

At the time of writing, the Ujau Rajabasa site is supplied with electricity from the MBP, while another MBP unit was approaching the Kunyir site. 

Telkomsel’s corporate communication manager for the Jabodetabek and West Java area, Aldin Hasyim, said the Telkomsel BTS had not been affected by the wave, however, several were not functioning because of a disruption of power supply from PLN. Telkomsel is currently installing power generators for the affected BTS. “We are currently working to restore the communication services,” Aldin said, as quoted by tempo.co

National Disaster Mitigation Agency (BNPB) spokesperson Sutopo Purwo Nugroho said the latest death toll as of Sunday at 1 p.m. was 168 people, 750 injured and 35 reported missing. Five beaches in Banten’s Pandeglang regency were affected by the tsunami, namely Panimbang, Carita, Teluk Lada, Sumur and Tanjung Lesung. (asw)





READ SOURCE

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you accept our use of cookies.