They help us listen to podcasts as we drift off to sleep, and allow us to binge our favourite Netflix series on the go.
However, apps can come with a whole host of hidden costs that can quickly drain your bank account – something many are trying to avoid as they feel the squeeze of the cost of living crisis.
It’s crucial to be aware of how to cancel each of your subscriptions, but that can be tricky if you’re actually unsure of which apps you’ve joined or are still paying for.
Here’s how to see and manage subscriptions on iPhone or Android – and how to cancel them when you’re ready to say goodbye.
How to cancel app subscriptions on iPhone or iPad
Worried about the apps and subscriptions on your iPhone or iPaid? No worries. They’re easy to take care of.
On your Apple device, follow these simple steps:
- Go to ‘Settings’ on your iPhone
- Tap your name/the Apple ID at the top of the screen
- Select ‘Subscriptions’ and then wait for the menu to open
- You’ll now see all of your active and expired subscriptions
- Tap on an app subscription you wish to cancel
- On the next screen, you’ll see subscription options and a ‘Cancel Subscription’ button. Select this and press ‘Confirm’ when the prompt appears
This will either cancel your monthly subscription, or prevent the pre-paid apps from auto-renewing when your subscription runs out.
How to cancel app subscriptions on Android devices
If you’re using an Android phone or tablet, the steps you’ll follow will be slightly different.
Here’s what Android users should do:
- On your phone or tablet, open the Google Play Store app
- In the top right corner of the screen, tap the profile icon
- Select ‘Payments and subscriptions’, then ‘Subscriptions’ and allow the list to load
- Choose the subscription you wish to cancel
- Select ‘Cancel subscription’
- Follow the instructions for any prompts that pop up
You’ll often be able to access apps until the renewal date, after which you’ll lose the ability to use their subscription features.
Keep an eye on your subscriptions regularly to avoid paying for any unnecessary apps.
Share your views in the comments below