Please assign a menu to the primary menu location under menu

ARVR

F1 LIVE: Lewis Hamilton reveals Spanish Grand Prix inspiration and Red Bull explain team orders

Vettel Puts Focus On Climate Change At Miami GP

Max Verstappen triumphed at the Spanish Grand Prix after major drama saw Formula 1 title rival Charles Leclerc retire in Barcelona. There was controversy when Red Bull initiated team orders to push the world champion above Sergio Perez to boost the drivers’ championship hopes, which seemed to rile the Mexican driver. Elsewhere, Mercedes picked up some form as they look to storm back this summer after a troubling start to the F1 season and the W13 car.

Russell took third to land a podium place, despite a late scare with the Silver Arrows issuing a warning that he was a DNF candidate with the dwindling power unit. Lewis Hamilton was fifth, with home favourite Carlos Sainz salvaging some pride for the fans with a fourth place to limit the damage in the constructors’ title race.

Reacting to his heartache, Leclerc said: “I lost power and I had to stop because there was an issue. I don’t know yet what the reason is. It hurts. But there are some positives, we have shown that we were quick.”

While Hamilton added that his fifth place felt like a win: “I was thinking it was impossible to get back into points but the team said no you’re on for eighth,” Hamilton said. “I thought they were being super-optimistic. I’m glad we didn’t [retire] and it just shows you never stop and never give up and that’s what I did. A race like that is like a win, and it actually feels better than a win most often when you have come from so far back.” Follow live reaction, news and updates from the Spanish Grand Prix below:

1653299557

More from Hamilton

Lewis Hamilton says he was gutted to lose out on a fourth placed finish to Ferrari’s Carlos Sainz especially after fighting from te back of the field but he is happy with his performance nonetheless.

“It was a lot hotter than predicted today, so for everyone, it was quite tough with these cars,” said Hamilton. “I don’t know exactly what went on with the car, I’ve not spoken with the team… but I had to just drive it at half throttle and try to cool the car, lots and lots of lifting down the main straight to try and get fresh air into the engine just to try and cool it down.

“I was so gutted to lose the place to Sainz, especially after coming from where I came from, you know. I mean, I was 30-plus seconds behind [the pack]. That’s like no-man’s land, and I tell you, it’s a horrible feeling being that far behind. But you just have to kind of keep your head up, just keep pushing, keep going and hoping for better.

“They said I could maybe get to eighth, and eighth doesn’t feel like a particularly impressive result! But I was like, at least I’ll get into the points. So to then be fighting for fourth, I was so happy with that.

“I hope that this continues in these next races, we will see.”

Michael Jones23 May 2022 10:52

1653299077

Hamilton ‘ruing’ collision with Magnussen

Lewis Hamilton’s run of Spanish Grand Prix victories came to an end on Sunday but the seven-time champion was delighted with his performance at the Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya after he recovered to P5, having been 19th at the end of the first lap following a collision with Kevin Magnussen.

Magnussen challenged Hamilton around the outside of Turn 4 on when the pair touched, the Haas skipping into the gravel and Hamilton suffering a puncture. After making it back to the pits Hamilton then looked set for a long afternoon and at one point imploring his Mercedes team to retire him and save his engine.

But, he fought back brilliantly and flew through the field to claim a P5 finish.

“The car felt great in the race” said Hamilton afterwards, “Our pace was closer to the rest, the top guys in the race, which was amazing,

“Just really unfortunate at the start to have got the puncture that we got [in the Magnussen contact]. But I didn’t give up, because that’s what we do.

“But jeez, if I hadn’t had that issue at the beginning, who knows where we would have been in the end. But it’s great to know that we had similar pace to some of the frontrunners.”

Michael Jones23 May 2022 10:44

1653298477

F1 opts against replacing cancelled Russian GP with another race

The Sochi race, which was originally scheduled to take place on September 25, was pulled from the calendar in late February following Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.

F1 bosses subsequently cancelled its contract with the Russian Grand Prix, which had been due to move to Igora Drive, 40 miles north of St Petersburg, from next year.

Reports initially suggested this year’s round-17 gap could be filled by a return to Qatar – which hosted its first grand prix last year – or a second race in Singapore. But organisers have confirmed the schedule will be shortened.

Michael Jones23 May 2022 10:34

1653297757

Lance Stroll rejects suggestion Aston Martin copied Red Bull with new design

The Silverstone-based squad has started the 2022 season in poor form, and is ninth in the constructors’ standings after the opening five rounds of the campaign, ahead only of Williams.

Back in 2020, when the team was still known as Racing Point, they caused enormous controversy by copying the design of the 2019 Mercedes car which had won the world championship. The car became known as the Pink Mercedes and saw the team leapfrog multiple teams and allowed it to compete for podiums and even race victories.

Michael Jones23 May 2022 10:22

1653297337

Red Bull chief claims evidence shows Aston Martin downloaded data in F1 car copy row

Red Bull Racing advisor Helmut Marko claims evidence exists showing that Aston Martin have downloaded some of his team’s data to help them build a new Formula 1 car which bears an uncanny resemblance to Red Bull’s.

Aston Martin arrived in Barcelona for the Spanish Grand Prix earlier this week with a completely revamped version of their AMR22, which made its on-track debut during practice on Friday. The re-designed halo, sidepods, and engine cover on the Aston Martin are all very similar to the parts Red Bull have been running all season long, with their RB18 car the frontrunner at the past two grands prix in Imola and Miami.

The changes made to the Aston Martin have led to fans and pundits referring to it as the ‘Green Red Bull’, and the fact the car bears little resemblance to the version the team has been running throughout the season means accusations of copying have emerged. Motorsport governing body the FIA approved the design during an inspection earlier this week, but Red Bull released a statement on Friday in which they implied they do not consider the matter to be closed.

Michael Jones23 May 2022 10:15

1653296917

‘The season starts now’ says Russell

George Russell says that Mercedes’ season ‘starts now’ after finishing third in the Spanish Grand Prix. Teammate Lewis Hamilton fought back from a collision on the opening lap to claim P5 but it was an impressive performance from Mercedes who have been off the pace for most of the season.

“Yes, I mean, it feels great to be on the podium and I think this showed the hard work and effort that’s gone on at the factory both at Brackley and Brixworth.” said Russell after the race,

“We’ve always said, you have to be there at the end to pick up the pieces, to pick up the points, especially on days like today.

“It was incredibly tough out there for the cars and the drivers. But I feel like we’re making progress and I feel like we, as a team, have turned a page and I feel like this is probably the start of our season now.”

Michael Jones23 May 2022 10:08

1653296424

Lewis Hamilton reveals inspiration behind Spanish Grand Prix comeback

Having been forced to pit after an early collision with Kevin Magnussen, the Mercedes driver dropped to 19th, more than half-a-minute behind the pack.

Seven-time world champion Hamilton stirred, however, producing a superb drive to work his way up through the field to be running fourth late on.

Michael Jones23 May 2022 10:00

1653295777

What does ‘interval’ mean in F1?

Formula One has enticed a raft of new fans in recent times for a variety of reasons. Most notably the Netflix series Drive to Survive has brought the storylines in the pitlane to a new audience and got them hooked.

Meanwhile on the track, the 2021 battle between Lewis Hamilton of Mercedes and Red Bull’s Max Verstappen ignited more sporting interest after years of Mercedes’ domination.

However the sport remains impenetrable at the best of times, with TV commentators and analysts using racing terminology and F1 jargon which make races difficult to understand for the casual fan.

One of those terms is ‘interval’ which you often see on the live leaderboard during a race, and occasionally here mentioned by the commentary team.

Michael Jones23 May 2022 09:49

1653295200

Verstappen addresses DRS problems

A problem with his DRS system was a worrying thought for Max Verstappen who says it wasn’t easy to drive and diagnose the malfunction at the same time as moving up through the field to fight for first place.

“I mean, I could have shouted [something] back on the radio, but there is nothing you can do.” he said, “I’m not stupid; once you get the light and the activation beep then you press the… paddle and if it doesn’t open, there’s clearly an issue.

“I spammed it like 50 times at one point on the straight and it’s just not opening, so there was clearly an issue. I tried all different kinds of things: stay off the kerb, on the kerb, open it a tiny bit later. It was just broken or malfunctioning so yes, we clearly have an issue there on this wing.”

(Getty Images)

Michael Jones23 May 2022 09:40

1653294937

Verstappen enjoyed ‘tough battle’ with Russell

Max Verstappen earned his third win of the season as part of a one-two finish for Red Bull in the Spanish Grand Prix and broke down his race after the chequered flag touching on his DRS issues and how he was left frustrated trying to get past Mercedes’ George Russell.

“A bit of a race with two halves,” said Verstappen, “because the first 30 laps were very frustrating for me after I went off in Turn 4, first of all, which really caught me by surprise because I didn’t feel like I was actually braking later or throwing more speed into the corner. But it was very gusty out there today… that caught me out by surprise, that was not ideal of course.

“Of course I was a bit frustrated at the time because I couldn’t get [Russell] because of DRS issues, but the fight itself was really cool also. I think that lap where I did go down the outside and George went around the outside and I was around the outside of Turn 3 again, I think that was a really cool fight.

“I look back at it and I’ll smile now; at the time of course I was a little bit frustrated. But it was a really good and tough battle, I think.”

Michael Jones23 May 2022 09:35