ARVR

Biden rejects Trump request to withhold White House records from 6 Jan. committee



The White House has declined a request from former President Donald Trump to withhold documents from the House committee investigating the 6 January Capitol riots.

NBC News has obtained a letter sent to the National Archives in which White House Counsel Dana Remus formally rejected an attempt by Mr Trump’s legal team to prevent the documents from being shared with the 6 January committee.

Mr Trump is claiming his communications on the day his supporters stormed the US Capitol are protected under executive privilege.

Former President Donald Trump

(AFP via Getty Images)

“President Biden has determined that an assertion of executive privilege is not in the best interests of the United States, and therefore is not justified as to any of the documents,” Ms Remus writes.

“These are unique and extraordinary circumstances,” Remus added. “Congress is examining an assault on our Constitution and democratic institutions provoked and fanned by those sworn to protect them, and the conduct under investigation extends far beyond typical deliberations concerning the proper discharge of the President’s constitutional responsibilities.”

At a press briefing on Friday afternoon, White House press secretary Jen Psaki said Mr Biden was dedicated to ensuring something like the events of 6 January never happens again.

“This committee is investigating a dark day on our democracy,” she said.

The committee investigating the 6 January riots have requested documents covering Mr Trump’s communications and actions.

Last month, Ms Psaki said Mr Biden had already decided that the documents requested by the committee did not fall under executive privilege.



READ SOURCE

See also  Animal Crossing PC: the best alternatives on Steam

Leave a Reply

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you accept our use of cookies.