Artificial Intelligence and Diabetes – Know the prospects and potential offered by AI | Photo Credit: Pixabay
- Diabetes is a chronic disease prevalent among people all around the world
- Diabetes can cause an unhealthy spike in the levels of blood glucose in a person’s body
- Here is how artificial intelligence can help in management of diabetes
New Delhi: Every day, technology is developing and with its application, technological advancements are being made in the healthcare sector. Artificial Intelligence, commonly known as AI, is proving to be a blessing for humans as it is aiding us in our everyday lives, thereby making it easier. The prominence of AI in the healthcare sector is not new. From diagnosis of conditions to treatments, AI can be useful for various purposes. Healthcare professionals and experts are utilising it for tackling several chronic diseases such as diabetes.
Artificial Intelligence and Diabetes
Artificial intelligence is equipped with brilliant abilities in data monitoring and analysing. When provided with sufficient data, it can analyse and produce substantial results such as reports and predictions. Diabetes mellitus is a chronic disease that affects millions of people around the world. With the emergence of the application of AI in the healthcare sector, the treatment of diabetes is yet another area that has gained due to newer technological aids. Some methods in which AI can contribute to diabetes care are as follows:
- Through the use of deep learning and convolutional neural networks, diabetic retinopathy diagnosis has been made easier. This process makes use of AI in analysing images to diagnose nerve rupture.
- Genetics is one of the contributing factors to the development of diabetes. AI can help analyze gene data and identify the risk of developing diabetes if any.
- AI-based applications that can help aid people in lifestyle and eating habits of people can contribute greatly to the self-regulation of diabetes.
Technological advances apart, diabetes (at least Type 2) is an avoidable (lifestyle) disease. If we just master a few rules and incorporate them into our daily regimen, they can help us keep diabetes away or at least under control.
Ways to manage diabetes
Here are some effective methods to manage diabetes:
- Keep a track of your glucose levels: It is necessary to be aware of your blood sugar levels to avoid any contingencies that may arise due to fluctuations caused in the same. Keep a diabetes kit on you at all times.
- Be physically active: Exercising can help regulate blood sugar levels in the body. Furthermore, it can help reduce the risk of developing other health conditions such as cardiovascular diseases and obesity.
- Eat healthily: Being mindful about what you eat and when you eat is essential when suffering from diabetes. Maintain a healthy diet that is low in carbs and sugar, but rich in fibre and other essential nutrients. Avoid the consumption of processed foods, sugars, and red meat.
Despite the benefits offered by AI, there are certain challenges that come along with it. Some common challenges include quality of data, data credibility, and patient privacy. However, these challenges can be sorted with the imposition of rules and appropriate regulations. In conclusion, with AI in the healthcare sector, we can be sure of a bright future ahead.
Disclaimer: Tips and suggestions mentioned in the article are for general information purpose only and should not be construed as professional medical advice. Always consult your doctor or a dietician before starting any fitness programme or making any changes to your diet.