Posh people like to say there are just two enjoyable moments which come with owning a boat: the day you buy it and the day you sell it.
The same can probably be said about Amazon’s voice-activated Echo devices, which will be delighting people around the world today as they unwrap one and begin talking to it for the first time.
Millions of people will be enjoying the honeymoon period which comes in the days or weeks before the ominous-looking, microphone-equipped device in the corner of your room starts to creep them out.
So to stave off the inevitable, Jeff Bezos’ minions at Amazon have launched a load of new ‘skills’ which allow Alexa to perform a range of festive tasks.
Amazon hopes that for some reason new Echo owners will spend Christmas Day baking, rather than getting heinously drunk and stuffing their faces relentlessly before melting into a great, farting, bovine Jabba the Hutt thing on their sofas.
Just ask ‘Alexa, give me a mince pie recipe’ or ‘Alexa, give me a Yule log recipe’.
Amazon added: ‘This Christmas, take away the stress of festive food preparation with a little help from Alexa; simply ask your Echo Show for recipes by ingredient, dish name or cooking method, and get instant access to some of the world’s top recipes, courtesy of BBC Good Food.
‘There’s no need to touch the screen with wet or dirty hands, all you need is your voice to cue the next steps in the recipe, and you can even set handy timers as you go along.
‘To resume your cooking session just say: “Alexa, go back to recipe”.’
Here is the full list of Alexa festive commands:
- Do you believe in Santa Claus?
- Who’s on the naughty list?
- Sing Auld Lang Syne
- What do you want for Christmas?
- What are you doing for New Year?
- Open the advent calendar
- How ugly is your Christmas jumper?
- Sing your new Christmas song
- Sing a Christmas carol
- Sing Jingle Bells
- Read ‘Twas the night before Christmas’
- How many sleeps until Christmas?
- Where’s Santa?
- Tell me a Christmas story
- I wish it could be Christmas every day
- Is Die Hard a Christmas movie?
- What’s the best Christmas movie?
- What’s the worst Christmas movie?