This story is limited to Techwire Insider members.
Two large state departments are recruiting for leadership positions in technology.
The California Department of Health Care Services (DHCS) is seeking a chief (Career Executive Assignment) for its Business Operations Technology Services Division within Enterprise Technology Services.
The chief reports to the chief information officer and plans, organizes, directs and evaluates the activities of about 300 staff and varying numbers of consultants, according to the job posting and duty statement. This position is responsible for leading IT infrastructure operations; ensuring the security of the DHCS technology environment; leading enterprise application operations, design and operations of critical state business applications; leading management of critical data warehouse, analytics and reporting systems; leading delivery of critical customer support services; driving solution architecture for the enterprise; leading IT operations governance processes; and supporting varied customers in support of departmental business needs.
“A key focus is supporting the department to achieve strategic and tactical outcomes through the interactions between architecture, systems, projects, vendors and state teams,” the job posting notes.
Desirable qualifications for the position include:
- Demonstrated ability to manage large-scale technology infrastructure operations in support of complex business operations.
- Knowledge of application development methodologies necessary to design, implement, and continuously enhance large systems.
- Knowledge of information security practices and solutions using these practices.
- Knowledge of health-related IT systems and data.
- Experience leading IT governance processes in support of strategic and tactical management of business solutions.
- Demonstrated ability operating as part of an executive team in support of a large, complex organization.
- Knowledge of the state’s policies, processes and procedures, particularly those that involve IT, budgets and related areas.
The position has a monthly salary range of $10,831 to $12,903, and the application deadline is Jan. 10.
The California Department of Transportation (Caltrans) has begun recruitment for a chief (IT manager I) to oversee the Application Architecture and Bimodal Support Section, which includes professionals responsible for “the development and maintenance of an application architecture framework, guidance and standards, and innovative rapid development of business applications using low-code/no-code platforms.”
“The incumbent oversees a Caltrans application portfolio of over 250 applications (and) leads proof of concepts built with Software as a Service (SaaS), and Platform as a Service (PaaS),” the job posting says. “The incumbent makes recommendations concerning emerging technologies, future software development tools, platforms, services, and strategies. The incumbent will manage agile teams to apply, implement and enforce agile principles and practices, facilitating continuous improvement, and identifying and removing impediments to achieve the desired business outcome.”
The duty statement lists “core competencies” for the role, which include:
- Change leadership: develops new and innovative approaches needed to improve effectiveness and efficiency of work products.
- Encourages others to value change. Considers impact and recommends changes.
- Decision-making: makes critical and timely decisions. Takes charge. Supports appropriate risk. Makes challenging and appropriate decisions.
- Customer focus: Considers, prioritizes and acts on the needs of internal and external customers.
- Vision and strategic thinking: Models the department’s Vision and Mission to others and influences others to translate vision into action.
- Business acumen: Ability to perform essential functions of position with insight, acuteness, and intelligence in the applicable areas of commerce and/or industry.
Additional details about the job are available in the duty statement. The position has a monthly salary range of $8,381 to $11,231, and the application deadline is Dec. 31.